To add a variation, go to the Variation section in the Product Data meta box.
Manually Adding a Variation
Select Add variation from the dropdown menu, and click Go
Select attributes for your variation. To change additional data, click the triangle icon to expand the variation.
Edit any of the available data. The only required field is Regular Price
Editing Many Variations
If you have more than 10 variations, use the buttons to navigate forward and backward through the list. Each time you navigate to a new set of variations, the previous set are saved. This ensures that all data is saved.
We recommend setting defaults you prefer on the variations. In the example, we have no defaults set, so users can pick any color and size right away from the product page.
If you want a certain variation already selected when a user visits the product page, you can set those. This also enables the Add to Cart button to appear automatically on variable product pages.
You can only set defaults after at least one variation has been created.
Each variation may be assigned:
- An image – Select the placeholder icon to see the image uploader. After you choose an image, select Set Variation Image.
- SKU – If you use SKUs, set the SKU or leave blank to use the product’s SKU.
- Enabled – Enable or disable the variation.
- Downloadable – If this a downloadable variation.
- Virtual – If this product isn’t physical or shipped, shipping settings are removed.
- Manage Stock – Manage stock at the variation level.
- Stock quantity – Stock for the specific variation, or left blank to use the product’s stock settings.
- Regular Price (required) – Set the price for this variation.
- Sale Price (optional) – Set a price for this variation when on sale.
- Stock Qty – Shows if Manage Stock is selected. Input the quantity.
- Allow Backorders – Choose how to handle backorders.
- Stock Status – Set the status of your variation’s stock.
- Weight – Weight for the variation, or left blank to use the product’s weight.
- Dimensions – Height, width and length for the variation, or left blank to use the product’s dimensions.
- Shipping class – Shipping class can affect shipping. Set this if it differs from the product.
- Tax class – Tax class for this variation. Useful if you are offering variations spanning different tax bands.
- Downloadable Files – Shows if Downloadable is selected. Add file(s) for customers to download.
- Download Limit – Shows if Downloadable is selected. Set how many times a customer can download the file(s). Leave blank for unlimited.
- Download Expiry – Shows if Downloadable is selected. Set the number of days before a download expires after purchase.
If the SKU, weight, dimensions and stock fields are not set, then it inherits values assigned to the variable product. Price fields must be set per variation.
Add an image for the variation
- Expand the variation.
- Click the blue image placeholder (screenshot).
- Select the image you wish to use.
You can bulk-edit variations by selecting the specific piece of data you want from the dropdown. In this example, I want to edit prices for all variations.
Linking possible variations
If your example had two attributes – color (with values blue and green) and size (with values large and small), it creates the following variations:
- Large Blue
- Large Green
- Small Blue
- Small Green